Friday, October 21, 2011

The monster who lives in your cabinets


Hands down where people find most of there contaminating plastic containers are in their kitchens and that was my first step. Here's what we've replaced over the past several years:

plastic Tupperware
plastic sippy cups and bottles
plastic drinking cups (from a game or restaurant)
plastic water bottles
plastic disposable bulk drinking straws (grocery store kind)
Ziploc bags
Saran wrap
plastic kids bowls
plastic kids silverware
plastic grocery bags
plastic organizers(silverware drawer organizer, pitchers, etc)
plastic box lunch and accessories
aluminum pans
plastic and aluminum baking pans

What we switched to:

For Children:
to-goware.com for the kids silverware we chose bamboo fork, spoon and knife sets. They love that they can now use a knife and we love that bamboo is the fastest regrowing tree to use for wood products.

to-goware.com for our take out meal box. In a blue moon when we all go out to a resturant we normally have leftover food. We use the three tier option so no one gets their meal mixed up. When we don't use it for this I use it for snacks on car rides.

Bamboo-7-pc-Salad-Set  we use wood salad bowl LIKE the link but I bought mine at a thrift store six for a $1 and some were given to me that were my great grandparents salad bowls. I wouldn't recommend buying new unless you have to. Yes you can use wood bowls with milk, for best results wash soon after using.

Duralex-Glass-Condiment-Bowl for cereal bowls and dessert bowls these are a great size. Very affordable at Target.

planetbox.com  & Etsy cloth lunch box set for lunch bags and snack bags! My son uses the stainless steel Planet Box and the cloth from OrganiLuxe, they work great for their individual needs.

kleankanteen.com hands down the best stainless steel water bottle with a sippy cup lid option. The best thing about this company is that they don't have a metal taste AND you and use them from sippy cup to adult just with a change of lid!

For the Kitchen:



Lodgecookware.com  going from nonstick 8 piece pots and pans set to three cast iron pans and one pot. The down side to cast iron, you cannot dishwash them. The upside, they will outlive you(my 9in is over 10 years old)if you "season" them correctly aka rub olive oil in them after each cleaning so the don't rust. Also cool fact, cooking with cast iron is the simplest way for you to get your daily iron and for a family with 3 ladies we need all the iron we can get. 



Target-Pyrex-set  for our food storage, measuring and bake ware. Target offers sets that we have and use all the time. Glass and stainless steel are safest for food storage with temperature changes. The chemicals you most here about such as BPA can leech estrogen-like chemicals into our foods with change of temperature in the container.



 acehardware-for-masonjars
what we use for our cups. Once arriving here I had planned on getting more of the 16 oz jars but a friend gave me six of them which along with our other three was a great set. You can get twelve jars for around $10, a great deal and these will not brake like the flimsy glasses in the dining section.


We now use my market basket and (cloth) re-usable bags because we found out that most of the plastic ones are painted with lead based paint in China. Lead was not on my grocery list! When I forget my bags, I look like a fool and juggle my groceries until I get to the car.  I hope this helps you cleaning out your home of plastics. Taking these pictures got me to organize my kitchen so thank you no one in particular who is reading this. Because of you I felt inspired to have "clean kitchen" pictures. Your power of influence continues to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment