Thursday, December 29, 2011

From nightstands to play kitchens

I bought an all wood nightstand and matching toy chest from my good friend Craig... man that guy's a hoarder. I wrote about it in a post a few weeks ago. Basically the purchasing experience was a nightmare but has delightfully turned into a day dream. Here is the before:



I wanted solid wood because I wanted these to last. I started by painting them with the number one eco friendly choice Olympic paint. We can't find a Benjamin Moore on the island which is my preferred. Olympics's paint tended to be more "watery" than B.W.'s. I realized I made a huge mistake by painting them ALL white. added some vanilla and it still didn't help. So... I borrowed Glen's sander. Glen is our awesomely nice neighbor who is well into is late seventies or early eighties and has an amazing workshop. He built his own house and actually put the roof on our home back in the 70's. So I got to work. Middle of project shot:



I wanted to do something like these:



We used a metal "dog pan" I got at salvation army as well as the tiny stainless steel strainer. The knobs from the drawers we used for the sink handles and the others will be the oven knobs. We ordered four wooden stove tops Two small to big which we will glue on the top of the night stand. The sink skirt is a curtain from our old dining room.  I was wanting an oven door but there wasn't enough room for them to play with a door being left open. This is how they turned out...





 With the new Baby in the new(old) high chair the girls can play kitchen and store all day. They also got play fruit and a shopping cart for Christmas. Play on Linly's!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Love it Court! Absolutely love it! Great job! I love your creativity!

Post a Comment