Sunday, March 25, 2012

I left my heart in Africa

I have been overwhelmingly in tune to my thoughts and feelings of the African people. I am so fortunate to have friends in South Africa that we once visited in 2004. A close friend of mine has also moved to Tanzania in the past year and is a blogger as well. I have other friend's who have traveled many times to Africa and have such a heart ache for this dear place too. Reading current issues on Kony lots of stir has come to the mouths of Americans lips and the discussion: What is really happening in Africa? It is a good question to ask, so seek answers.

I have been privileged to see how people live with no running water, no heat or a.c. little medical supplies, little protection, little hope. I say I have been privileged because whether you have been to Africa or another part of the world where this is the current state of the people you know how humbled and in awe you can become. I little things like material items show little change on over all health. What kind of person you have become believing you need these things, and "This is normal." When seeing Africa, raw gritty, beautiful Africa you are faced with no concept you have been wrong on most things. I was young, seventeen, being in a shantytown for several weeks, it greatly changed me. Before I was a wife and a mother I was changed and I am thankful. This quote that has been running through my mind-one that a friend recently quoted. " T.I.A. for This Is Africa".


           And that is a perfect way to say how one can be impacted by this amazing place, it simply is.

No comments:

Post a Comment