Monday, September 26, 2011

10 weeks strong

                                         
                              "Life is not a matter of milestones but of moments."


It is true, women should do what they feel best for their lives and bodies. I am a huge supporter of empowering young women and men and their abilities to empower themselves through knowledge. My question is where is that crossed from fetus to child. When does society consider a person a person? If you ask most mothers how they view the life of an unborn child they would confirm it is a gift. But when asking a person who might be young, single or simply unprepared carrying for another life they would view an unborn as a fetus.

Months ago a group of people were discussing the rights of American citizens. The conversation focused primarily on the rights of the minorities and the impacts of the supreme court makes of protecting minorities rights. Also how majority citizens should never have the final say over laws. The Supreme Court can overrule state laws if they don't comply with the United States Constitution. This is crucial to our democracy and how we separate from any extreme political groups.


Primarily focusing on the topic of abortion rights to women is not where I am going here. It is more of what we as people classify life, a person, pregnancy. I can speak personally on this topic through my experience with my first pregnancy. When I was seventeen I was unknowingly pregnant. I had a cycle, took two home pregnancy tests, and by the third test I found out I was seven weeks along. At this point my boyfriend was moving into his college dorm, I was applying to colleges around the country and was a little over a month away from my eighteenth birthday.

I did not want to be pregnant. I could not be pregnant, I had more important plans than to be someone's mother. I told Richard my irrational myths that I chose to be facts in my mind and made an appointment at an abortion clinic. On a summer morning he somberly drove me in silence. I remember seeing him trying to make eye contact but I couldn't look at him. I was too ashamed of my choice to go and to prideful to admit my cowardly decision. So we drove. I remember walking up and the guard with a gun greeting us with a smile, I naturally smiled back then quickly went back to my stone like demeanor. There was no turning back, I had already aborted the fetus in my mind.

Next thing I knew they had no appointment scheduled, none of my information, as if I was in the complete wrong place. Everything was dazed, I frantically left with Richard quickly behind me. It was like I got hit with the loudest most obvious answer but I was still not wanting to face it. I straight up sobbed in the car because I knew that I wasn't just pregnant-I was carrying a child-our child. It took some time to have the nerve to tell our family but after that day I accepted I was acting out of fear and not out of fact.

I have had many women in my life suffer through the loss of a child. Through abortions, miscarriages, inability to conceive, car accidents. It always brings me back to that saying "You should never outlive your children." When will we as society see life for what it simply is. Life is Life. Losing life never comes easy and takes a lifetime of healing.

Today I celebrate a life of a precious Baby W, boy or girl who was around 10 weeks when they passed away. To the family of this child we celebrate your baby's life, how beautiful they will always be. We will never forget you!

No comments:

Post a Comment