Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Are your ovaries telling on you?


I could start off by saying something prophetic but I don't really feel like inspiring you. I'd rather empower you by freaking you out. Nine years ago I had my first encounter with the birth control pill Yasmin. I went from having a hormonally enhanced cup size from my diet of cow dairy and red meats to an even more hormonally enhanced chest from The Pill. Within two weeks I went up a cup size. I was now a full C cup. My mom and her friends thought it was oddest thing. I thought it was great. I was only on it for 2 months and stopped taking it. The next time I would be on The Pill was the day I left the hospital with my son. Yasmin again only this time no change in cup size, only migraines, loss of a period and weight loss.

For six months I allowed my body to recover naturally and quickly gained weighed back and recovered my cycle. I was given a book by my friend Valerie, Taking Charge Of Your Fertility. It is known as the Bible Of Fertility, it's thick enough to be one! I learned about educating myself on how simple it is to learn when you are ovulating. By simply tracking your temperature each morning and examining your body you're able to hear what your body is saying.  I delivered our daughter eleven months later. When Ava was just five months I took a progestogen only pill for a month and stopped again. The day I left the hospital after giving birth to our youngest daughter I was given the Depo-Provera shot that lasts 12 weeks.

We looked into a vasectomy and came across staggering numbers of men with high rates of testicular cancer and prostate cancer after receiving the vasectomy. The male body is designed to release the sperm out. Once those tubes are burned or cut from the vasectomy, sperm then can only reside in the male's body. His body views it as foreign matter and essentially attacks itself. The rates are even higher the younger men who have the surgery. Weeks went by and I decided I was ready for a non hormonal Paragard iud device. The midwife was being supervised by my midwife and it was pushed through my cervical wall. Within 72 hours of it being put in I had to have emergency surgery. But wildly enough in March of this year I went in to have it put in again by an OB.

Exactly one month after I had the Paraguard I had a severe eye abrasions in the middle of the night. I woke up in extreme pain and within two days wasn't able to see. This series of events followed about every two weeks mainly in my left eye. We all believed it was my stress, the move, anything but my birth control. I struggled with this for five months, not being able to see. I would sit in bed for hours sometimes days, not able to be in a lit room. It was a horrible experience. Richard came across a medical blog of women complaining of severe eye problems and connected it to the Mirena and the Paraguard iuds. I am happy to report I had the iud removed just over three weeks ago. I am healing, God is who he says he is and I am being healed.

Recently some of my closest friends have shared their inability to have regular periods, needing In vitro fertilisation to sustain pregnancy, unstoppable bleeding, multiple cysts on their ovaries and uterus, and miscarriages. These are all women I know in their twenties and thirties, this should not be so common! My good friend Laura also posted an amazing article on our bodies natural detox through breast feeding. detox now! We recently were watching vanishingbees on netflix where they were discussing how pesticides being ingested typically effect the next generation. Are our mother decisions with their choice of birth control and pesticide ingestion effecting our abilities to conceive? More importantly what choices are we making with our non organic foods, smog intake, and medical absorption effecting our little ones before we even see their faces.

These are confessions of a serial birth control user. The safest methods I'd recommend for a long and healthy life for you and your partner are the following.

1. Monogamy (self explanatory to some but having a unified and safe relationship with only one person)

2.  Charting your cycle with www.tcoyf.com

3.   They are effective, they are vegan, they are glyde-condoms

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Yasmin is a nightmare! I love all the commercials now asking people if they were on yasmin and how they can sue the pharmaceutical company for xyz. Syntheric birth control is a scary thing. I agree, natural family planning is the way to go.

Post a Comment