Thursday, August 11, 2011

Earth Mammas



I had another great phone call today with My Abbey ( I know she's not just mine but this is what I call her) and she told em about their plans for her oldest son, Gino's fall break in September. They are planning on staying at an organic homestead in North Georgia for the week. A homestead is an educational center and farm where you can stay for a short visit or a long one to work and live at their farm. Perez Family of five (3 children under he age of 7) plan to stay over night for several days while enjoying the benefits of milking the goats and gathering eggs in the mornings and picking seasonal fruits and vegetables for snacks. And being alongside workers at the farm who are providing care to the animals.

She told me she looked up Hawaii which also has some homesteads. This got me thinking... then I found this! kahumanafarms.org less than 35 minutes away on our same coast. Amazing! I am suuuuper pumped, but I also want to confirm their are no farms in our more local Pupukea area. THE slogan, yes there is a slogan for the North Shore is keep the country country. We live in an amazing place and I have been so thankful to have so many local resources for food. I have already come into contact with a local farmer who offers seasonal and fresh baskets refills every Monday afternoon who literally lives on the closest dirt road to our son's school. Amazing how things just fall into place! Vote on the Farm Bill


Talking with Abbey reminded me of Laura's experience with staying at a farm last year. T-man was less than 6 months as I can recall and he, Laura and Xavier all went to help clean up their farmers property. By doing so they camped in a tent. She got home she showed us she was covered in bites from...chiggers. Curs-ed southern chiggers you got another one of us!


I've recently been talking to several newly pregnant friends all of which either want to be as natural as possible either for their first time or go more natural their second. I am delighted to be a part of the pregnancy to encourage and support in anyway possible. I love being able to share how much food can effect our bodies as well as our little ones.


My new favorite read is by far Alicia Silverstone's the kind diet , who lives a vegan lifestyle and was a healthy vegan through her whole pregnancy! Yes, she gained weight, check it out if you are interested. Whether your'e vegan or not it the importance of how to choose your food. Buying seasonal, local and the way a farmer slaughters their  animals are the three most important things I have learned in buying food. Does your food have pesticides in them even after you wash?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love the first picture on this post!

Post a Comment