Friday, August 19, 2011

We're dreamers with grounded feet-metaphorically speaking


 "I dream because we're made to, I do dream because." 


I come from a long line family of entrepreneurs and go getters. I love that that they chose the road less traveled because they ultimately got the bigger reward. My great grandfather was the started of one of the fastest growing construction businesses in Iowa in the 40's and 50's. His wife Ava, opened the first women owned boutique in there town and the had one of the first televisions in their home. That got them are larger number of house guests than they planned. Both my grandmothers were activists-one for democratic politics and civil rights and one for love, peace and Jesus.

My parents, one who did not finish college and one who never bothered with it, started a company wise beyond there years. One of the first in the background checking industry came one hugely successful business after the other. My mom who was the president on many boards in the community always showed me women can go just as far as a man can. Richard now jokes about how I was raised by a feminist. (He wasn't too far off) Now both are successful investors and could be retired before fifty they continue to grow their ideas and multiple businesses. They have planted seeds in my sister and I not to settle for mediocracy. We grew up being given endless education opportunities, extra curricular activities and outlets to find our niches in life. I married a man who became his own boss and owned a business at twenty three and continues to impress me with his alternative work approach.

photography by whatadayphotography

 What can I say we are dreamers, visionaries, lovers of the unknown. We have moved over seas with a dream of a newer, brighter life for ourselves and our children. But not without thinking twice or even three or four times for that matter. I still haven't figured out where I got my grounding from but through my eyes things are very black and white. They either work or they don't, they either help or they don't. So though I dream I dream with my eyes wide open. And truly asking my motives in working towards those dreams. And for all your assurances, this dream of ours to live better and happier is coming true. Keep dreaming and dream big!


"I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." Martin Luther King Jr.


"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. " Albert Einstein






"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." Harriet Tubman

No comments:

Post a Comment