Monday, February 7, 2011

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -- Plato

Public schools, yes some say you are free.  But technically you're not. Our tax dollars go to support a system that is run with low paying, over extended teachers in unclean environments where the drive to see kids excel as individuals has died long ago with bringing apples for your teacher.

I say all this because I have had the best of both worlds. I started my schooling in montessori with was more amazing and memorable than I can explain. Montessori offers the concept of being a responsible human being without any religious guidelines of why. Just simply be a thoughtful and knowledgeable human because you should. It's only when I talk to someone else who has been apart of a montessori environment do they know my enthusiasm for it.

Afterwards I transitioned to private non denominational schools, ( again I am HUGE supporter of) They have small classrooms, more time for each students individual needs as well as custom learning plans. They also provide the concept of being a responsible human being without any religion to support it, again I lean towards agreeing that faith although important is a responsibility to the parents not the teachers and staff. They already have your child for 6+ hours, when is it enough?

I dabbled into the public school arena for a part of 1st grade and immediately lost interest in school. I actually remember getting away with erasing other classmates names off their papers and re-writing mine. Don't ask where I got the idea, I have just always been pretty creative. : ) Then played ping pong between private and public for about 6 years until I resided at  a nondenominational private school subtly by a river. It gave me the knowledge and confidence in the standards I have of my children's education. This is also where I met my husband, had some of my most impressionable teachers in my life and met one of my closet friends. So I could be a little bias but still!

Now Richard and I are planning and praying to move our family to a new place where the schools are very small and the lifestyle is about being who are you, whoever that may be. We desire this element of living to surround and inspire our whole family. I makes me wonder, do people get tired of blending, doing what you SHOULD do even when your heart isn't in it? We aren't meant to blend nor are we meant to seek approval by others, only when you are at peace with your life can you be at peace knowing what will happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment