Saturday, February 5, 2011

Making pillows from trees

So I recently got a new sewing machine which I can't be happier with.  Our new one is a Singer Stylist and I highly recommend it for beginner sewers as well as advanced sewers. The best part... a speed setting, so convenient!

I went to the local fabric store and bought some natural Bamboo fill to stuff for the kids pillows. I have had such a guilt about them sleeping on polyester pillows and breathing that in for 8+ hours of their day. I was able to get the fill on clearance (awesome) and used old organic bamboo sheets and organic cotton pillow case for the casing of the pillow insert. You will be able to tell which was the original pillow case because it looks ten times better but whatev right! It's for the inside anyway.

Bamboo is a heavier material and is bouncy believe it or not, it almost gives of a memory foam experience. It cost me less than $25 dollars and an average organic pillow can be over $100 and I made two. Here are some pictures of all the things that I *needed* to make them.

 old pillow case & old fitted sheet
 bamboo natural fill or organic cotton natural fill
 sewing machine
 Mason Jennings Birds Fly Away album


No comments:

Post a Comment