Monday, February 28, 2011

How to decorate your kitchen... Let a Kitchen be a Kitchen!

So decorating kitchen and bathrooms seems to be my weak spots. I've done the traditional and the eclectic. I now combined my personal wishes for the flow of the room and heavily sprinkled it with design 101 from the experts. Genevieve says that when decorating a kitchen try to minimize elements that don't 'fit' a kitchen flow. Use foods and natural materials that you would already see in a kitchen. Basically Let a kitchen be a Kitchen!  So here were some things we had already had in our kitchen. We used a vintage cutting board in the shape of a pepper(Thrift store)  to display. For our soap, I use a olive oil dispenser (Target, a Caroline tip) And yes, that is a picture of a steak in the shape of USA(Urban Outfitters).






Last weekend R and I were watching HGTV's Dear Genevieve. She had remodeled a young couples kitchen from top to bottom. She chose a lot of options from Ikea's home kitchens which is budget friendly and you can add more drama with nicer knobs, a great sink, appliances, etc.  She put old wood floors from a previous home on the ceiling. HUGE drama and it worked great because the kitchen was a tall narrow room. Had a lot of light in cabinets as well as under cabinets along the back splash. The countertops were butcher block and a killer porcelain sink. I am a big fan of the handles on the drawers and I love all the natural light and open shelving. These are all my Fave's for a kitchen!




Because we are still renting I won't see anything close to these kitchens for a while but that gives us time to figure out exactly how we would remodel our kitchen to where its Leetastic. 

1 comment:

Writingfor5 said...

I'm curious do you use a wooden cutting board often? We have three and use them all the time. If we were to have a countertop made of wood it would eliminate the need for bulky cutting boards. Also wood has a great natural antibacterial in it. Easy to clean too! Just some vinegar and mineral oil to finish. Don't knock it until you try it I say.

Post a Comment