Friday, March 4, 2011

How close are we to living near the shore?

Aloha,


When we started contemplating moving almost a year ago Richard and I first asked ourselves " If we could choose where we wanted to live not based on a job where would it be?" We love the mountains BUT only for a visit. We are naturally wimps in the cold so we had to rule out The Rockies and all that came with it (my sister). Once we threw out the idea of Hawaii it was uphill from there. We prayed, felt assured, felt God was continuing to open doors through friends support, friends contacting friends who lived there at some point. Then a curb ball ( a series of HUGE bills) would happen or one of us felt confused about our future. Then Richard landed a job making slightly more money where we could start saving again. And came my part... praying,research, praying, researching, packing, praying some more.

When we arrived to Honolulu in December it was like I got hit in the chest. I assume this is not something someone feels every-time they visit Hawaii but it is something someone should feel when they are in they right place for them. I had told God I just wanted to know within 24 hours of arriving if this was a killer vacation or where I would be moving my family. Bold right? I'm a bold person. I ask bold questions and I make bold statements. In my relationship with God I have accepted He is exactly who He says He is. I have an open wave of communication with Him as much as I have with anyone I talk to. Therefore when I felt this feeling, I was almost put to tears.

I had endured a 3 1/2 flight, then a 9 hour layover, then a 6 hour flight, I had been thrown up on, pooped on and was running on less than 4 hours of sleep in 30 hours. Yet I had an energy once we arrived that was not of my own. We packed up I went grocery shopping and drove us to our condo. The entire trip was surreal, I kept waiting for it to end. But 2 1/2 weeks takes a while and I was so grateful it does. When you have been praying about something and God just drops it in your lap and says " Okay, here's what you've been waiting for." It almost feels like you second guess how ready you are for it.

Now that we've been back for two months we can honestly say we miss it. Being in the environment where you are being lead to grow as individuals and as a family, it moves you. We are seeing what will work for the move and won't work furniture, clothes, habits. Ohana means family in Hawaii and here is a real sense of it there. I was born and raised in the suburbs of Atlanta. I have traveled to parts of Europe, Africa, all over the country, the Caribbean and never has a place left such an impression on me. We aren't sure what date we will be heading over, though our lease is up at the end of May. I'm still hopeful to see what God will do from now until then.

This isn't some sort of ploy to get all the readers to move to Hawaii, I am just expressing what it's like to have prayed about something and to not settle, not to believe you deserve anything less than the best and then to receive confirmation. Be confident in who your are, Love better than you judge and keep growing, nothing healthy stays stagnant. Mahalo for reading & have a great weekend.
  "If we are to be a really great people, we must strive in good faith to play a great part in the world. We cannot avoid meeting great issues. All that we can determine for ourselves is whether we shall meet them well or ill." Theodore Roosevelt 

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment